Thursday, January 16, 2014

Green Market, Casa Grande

Today I finally had the chance to stop by at this "Green Market." I've been curious as what products they sell. Located at one of the ruko* of the luxurious housing complex called Casa Grande, it must cater good quality supplies to the "upper" class.


As I got closer and closer, I got more excited...


To my surprise... It was a regular Mini Market.



They sell MSG full-chips, wafers, and boxed juices, etc.

I inquired the seller as to why it's called a "green" market while it doesn't sell any "green" stuff. He said, it was set up back in 2006 after the Merapi Mountain eruption and they DID sell green products, however because there was no market for it, meaning not many people are interested in 'green' things... they changed it into a more profitable 'regular' mini market just 2 years ago. So it was a green market for about 6 years.

Looking at the way Jogja is developing ~ into a metropolis, with 10 new hotels and many housing complexes (from the upper end to the student affordable ones), I think Jogja's market for greener products may get bigger soon. Let's hope so.

ruko: RUmah TOko (lit. House Store) or a store with a home on the 2nd floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment